South Carolina Property Tax | Determine your Tax Bill
If you own real estate in South Carolina you are probably aware of the annual property tax that gets sent to your billing address each year. I've always found it a little confusing so below you will find the formula to determine the amount due for your annual tax bill. A few things that are essential before you rack your brain...
- Fair Market Value - determined by the county. Check your tax bill by tax map number or your County Website
- Millage Rate - or 'mills' (make sure the decimal is in the correct place in the formula for Millage. example: 234 mills should be .234)
- Assessment ratio -
- Owner Occupied or Primary Residence 4%
- Secondary home or rental unit 6%
- Agricultural Property 4% (personally owned)
- Agricultural Property 6% (corporate owned)
- Commercial Real Property 6%
- Utility or Manufacturing property 10.5%
- Personal Property (Cars, Boats, etc.) 10.5%
- Motor Carriers, Railroads, Airlines and Pipelines 9.5%
(Fair Market Value) X (Assessment Ratio) = Assessed Value
(Assessed Value) X (Millage Rate) = Total Taxes due
We feel that personal service and knowledge is the key to a good real estate transaction.
Please contact us with any questions that you have. We can be reached at the contact information below.
We also offer a free MLS Search
Hunt and Associates Real Estate Sales and Development
PO Box 725
(803) 788-4250 Office
1-866-716-7719 Toll Free