Over 40 visual and performance artists showing You the Love!
SAT. FEBRUARY 13th
SUN. FEBRUARY 14th
The past few years of Columbia SC's "What's love got to do with it" art show was so successful the founders have decided to once again bring it back to Columbia for the fourth time. Below is an Open Call for all artists that would like to submit contributions. This year the festival will be a 2 day event with all types of art including music, visual arts, and performance.
The What's LOVE Fest 2010 is accepting applications for artists' proposals on the themes of love, sexuality, sensuality and broken hearts.
* $25 application fee and 18 years old to apply
This year's festival will include a visual arts preview on Feb. 13 with the main event on Feb. 14 which includes performance, dance and music. The organizers of the event are looking for contemporary, risqué and edgy arts proposals. We encourage the exploration of new media, installations, performance art, and video.
Proposals consist of two parts: one paragraph and one image.
1. Paragraph: The jurors will accept one paragraph (100 words max.) describing your proposed art work. For example: "My work will consist of five paintings (size 4 by 6 feet each) on the issue of the five senses, each painting will show a male nude, they will all have the same backgrounds, size and palette. They will address the issue of male sexuality and eroticism." Include your email address.
2. Image: Should be of your proposal: sketch, photo, etc. Submit on paper, CD or DVD.
3. Fee: $25 check payable to "Palmetto & Luna" for "What's Love" (non-refundable) for one proposal per person or per group.
Please send your proposals in a sealed envelope postmarked on or before Nov.30, 2009 to:
Results will be announced electronically. EMAIL ADDRESS IS ESSENTIAL.
*Please DO NOT send your resume, artist statement or bio. Nor will the jurors review websites. Proposals will be reviewed by the jurors on Dec 3rd. Materials will not be returned.
1. We will be accepting only original pieces specifically created for this show.
2. No restrictions on dimensions as long as we can fit it in the space.
3. Final works must be based on the accepted proposal.
4. There is no limit on the number of accepted works or artists; it will depend on the participation, size and other variables.
5. Pieces should be ready to hang or install.
6. All visual works should be for sale and should include taxes in the price.
7. The What's LOVE Fest will take a 30% on sales.
8. Sales taxes are the artists' responsibility.
9. All works not sold should be picked up on Monday Feb 15, 2010 during the day. (we won't store any works)
10. Artists are in charge of delivering, hanging or installing and picking up their work.
11. Insurance is the artist's responsibility. The organizers will make every effort in taking care of each piece but wear and tear may occur.
12. Artists are encouraged to participate and assist with the event and clean up.
1. Todd Herman, Chief Curator of the Columbia Museum of Art.
2. Karen Watson, Director of the Sumter Gallery of Art.
3. J.J. Ohlinger, Director of CAFfeine, Contemporary Art Forum in Greenville, SC.
4. Alejandro Garcia-Lemos, What's Love Jury Coordinator.
This year's event supports Palmetto & LUNA, a non-profit organization promoting Latino arts and culture in South Carolina. Latino theme not required. Please make checks payable to Palmetto & LUNA, (For: What's LOVE entry fee)
Each participating artist will receive confirmation by email by Dec 10, 2009.
1) Jurors' Award for $200.00
2) People's Choice Award for $100.00
Awards will be announced at the opening of the show and artists are encouraged to be present.
Nov 30, 2009 deadline for proposals
Dec 3, 2009 final selection
Dec 10, 2010 Jury coordinator will email results to all applicants
Feb 11, 2010 all day receiving works and installation
Feb 12, 2010 (10 am) Last day to receive works and install them at the venue
Feb 13, 2010 Visual Arts Preview including jury award
Feb 14, 2010 Main event and announcement of People's Award
Feb 15, 2010 Pick-up and cleaning
Lee Ann Kornegay 803-237-1793 or email@example.com